la ciel de Boston

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

problems

Last Monday I was invited to a US Consulate General in Surabaya annual lunch to share my ‘survival’ stories of my exchange year to this year YES students that happened to be in Surabaya for visa interview. I always excited to do this kind stuff, you know, sharing stories of one of the greatest year of my life and remembering every silly but yet fun stuff I did 4 years ago. And I came in right when Andea DeArment, US Consulte General in Surabaya Public Affairs Officer was opening the lunch and introduce me and Prita as YES alumni who will shared our stories today. Seeing the YES students pretty much remind me of myself 4 years ago, all so excited, curious, and somehow worried with what will be offered to me in the next one year abroad away from home. And I could see it in each of their eyes, so eagerly asked me questions, the serious one, the silly one. Question about school, friends, family, and the overall things of living in America for a year. Until a girl asked me how I actually overcome problems during my year abroad. That question bewildered me, it was simple but yet can be understood in so many different ways. And I started to reminisced all those memories of me living in Florence, SC. And it stopped me right on the Sunday before we went to church. Mama was holding my hand, telling me that I can talk to her about everything and I shouldn’t just keep it to myself. Then I started crying no words out from my mouth but mama understood right in, and pulled me in her arms. I remember I was having problems with my exchange student friends and I felt betrayed. Once I could feel mama’s arms wrapped around me, all my problems gone. I feel safe, I feel home. Since that day I realized problems are meant to be our lesson of life. I shouldn’t just keep it, forget it, or pretend it wasn’t there to start with. I learn to share it with people around me to gain another perspective and seeing it differently. Problems are there to deal with, weather we like it or not. Just like what Socrates said, the unexamined life is not worth living P.S so I simply answered to the girl I cant remember her name, ‘ I deal with it’

No comments:

Post a Comment